Known for its magical streams, lush green mountains, serene landscapes, meadows and massive variety of flora and fauna; the Annapurna Base Camp is an avid trekker’s delight. Located in Nepal, Annapurna Base Camp is one of the most travelled and daring destinations. The Annapurna Base Camp is rated as one of the best and the difficult treks in the world.
If you do this trek, after trekking for a few days, you will feel like walking on the clouds, which will make your journey unforettable. The trip to Annapurna Base Camp is the major highlight of a mountain-lover’s career. Once you reach the top, you will witness the beauty of the snow capped mountains and distant landscapes (on a clear day).
The Annapurna Base Camp is known for its incandescent beauty with the jaw-dropping peaks, mesmerizing views and magnificent hills. On your way to the top, you will see many tea stalls, food courts and markets selling handcrafted items. For a mountain-lover in you, Annapurna Base Camp will never be disappointing.
The Annapurna Base Camp is not for everyone. First-time trekkers must not do this trek. And if you are suffering from Asthma and heart related problems, better you not think about doing this trek. The reason that makes this trek dangerous is due to unpredictable climatic conditions, rains, snow falling and high fatality rate.
Located at an altitude of 4,130 (13,550 feet), Annapurna Base Camp is 115 km long trek from the base point (Nayapul).
The total distance of Annapurna Base Camp can be covered in 10 to 15 days, if you trek for 8-12 kms in a single day.
Best time to do Annapurna Base Camp-
For an avid trekker anytime of the year is the best time to do Annapurna Base Camp. but the best time for the trek is considered during the shoulder seasons (pre monsoons and before winters), which are from March end to Mid May and Mid September to November (autumn). This time is ideal for hiking, trekking and mountaineering. The weather is pleasant and quite comforting during these months. And there is a less chance of rain or snow-fall during this time.
How to get there-
The starting point of most of the Annapurna Base Camp trek is both Pokhra and Nayapul.
To reach Pokhra, you need to take local transportation (bus or taxi) from Nayapul, which is well connected with Kathmandu, which is well connected with all the major cities of India by air, road and train.
Pokhra to Annapurna Base Camp distance- 37 km
Nayapul to Annapurna Base Camp distance- 115 km
Things to carry-
- Hiking shoes- Water resistant and light weighed
- Sneakers and Slippers- As an extra
- Socks- Heavy woolen socks (2-3 pair)
- Gloves- Heavy woolen gloves (2-3 pair)
- Down jacket, Fleece jacket
- Caps- To block the sunlight or rain
- Hiking pants, bottom pants and t-shirts- Warm and comfortable
- Backpack- with all necessary belongings
- Munching items like chips, chikki and packed food (dry fruits, chocolates) which lasts for at least two weeks
- Energy providing beverages (Red bull, Mountain Dew)
- Water bottles
- Small lock- for your duffle bag
- Plastic bag- To keep the wastage and store your dirty laundry
- Sleeping bag or tent- You can borrow these items from Nayapul
- Trekking poles- Must bring
- Camera- To click the beauty of the Annapurna Base Camp
- Powerbank- to recharge your phone
- Flashlight with extra batteries
- First aid kit (including band-aids)
- Sunscreen and lip balm- For skin care
- Pain reliever- All trekkers suffer from an occasional light headache and body pain
- Water purification tablets- The water that you’ll get on the height is not purified
- Body wipes- Showers are limited. Wipes will help you alot in cleaning
- Hand wipes- To keep yourself healthy and germ free
- Cash- it’s most important, as you won’t get any ATM on the hill
- Don’t make fun of the local traditions and cultures. Respect them
- Drink no alcohol- it dehydrates your body
- Follow your team leader’s instructions and keep in close with your group
- If you’re traveling solo, be conscious all the time. And whenever you get phone signal, inform your family
- Don’t walk on an unknown path. You might get lost and couldn’t find the way back