Learn the way to use Windows 10 better with our manual to the new Windows 10 update. We’ll show you the maximum important Windows 10 recommendations and tricks which you need to get more out of the new version of Windows.
The Windows 10 replace arrives as a unfastened improve for Windows 7 and Windows eight customers. We’ll show you the way to use the new Windows 10 features and the way you could get a number of your favorite options lower back, in case you need to apply the Start Screen.
You don’t need to spend any extra cash or purchase add-ons to use those Windows 10 hints and tricks to your pc. These will work on older computers you upgrade and on new Windows 10 computers.
How to Get the Start Screen Back in Windows 10
When Microsoft shipped Windows 8 people complained because Microsoft modified the conventional Start Menu that opens from the Start button inside the lower left corner of the screen in Windows 7 to a full-screen Start Screen that covers the whole show.
In Windows 10 Microsoft adjustments this to a brand new hybrid Start Menu that looks like the Start Screen but doesn’t take over the complete display screen.
For a extra comprehensive manual on how to get the vintage Start Screen again, head over to GottaBeMobile, however we’ve got the quick steps here.
Down within the lower proper nook locate the Action Center. It sits third from the right just proper of the date and keyboard icon. It looks as if a quote bubble and will both look transparent whilst there aren't any notifications or white when there are notifications looking forward to the consumer’s response. Tap or click on it to open the Action Center. On a touch display screen, slide in from the trip edge of the display screen towords the left to expose it. Tap on Tablet Mode to exchange the Windows 10 person-interface to a pill friendly experience. This works on laptops and computers too.
How to Use Cortana in Windows 10
People who use Siri on an iPhone or iPad and those who use OK Google on an Android tool or within the Chrome Browser will apprehend the cause of Cortana quickly. This device behaves similarly, letting the consumer ask or inform their laptop to do things like look for content material, add appointments to the calendar and extra.
The Cortana feature pops up when a person faucets or clicks at the little seek container simply left of the Start button. The person can kind in it or pick out the mic button and talk to it.
For commands on setting up Cortana, see this beneficial How To. Here’s a listing of a number of the instructions Cortana knows whilst the person kinds or speaks.
- “Hey Cortana, upload Meet John at Starbucks for 2PM day after today” – adds an appointment to the calendar with this identify and at the given time.
- “Hey Cortana, remind me to select up milk at Food Lion” – provides the reminder for your listing and sets the area in order that Cortana can remind you while you get to the shop. This manner the person wishes to use Cortana on a cellular device like a Windows Phone or either an Android smartphone or iPhone with the Cortana app mounted. Microsoft plans to release it for the ones systems soon.
- “Hey Cortana, what does my day seem like” – this tells Cortana to check your calendar and display the day’s appointments.
- “Hey Cortana, when is my subsequent appointment” – simply shows the subsequent component on the calendar.
- “Hey Cortana, what’s the climate like” – indicates climate at your modern-day place.
- “Hey Cortana, display a few correct eating places nearby” – searches the web the usage of Bing for close by eating places.
Cortana also handles flight statistics, tune instructions, trivial questions, math equations, and greater.
How to Install Apps and Games from the Windows Store
Windows 10 handles software installation the same way all earlier variations did. Run an set up software from a downloaded report or a disk linked to the system via USB or a DVD force. However, Windows 10 consists of its own app save called the Windows Store, just like Windows eight does.
By default the Windows Store icon shows up at the undertaking bar at the lowest of the display screen. It looks as if a shopping bag with a Windows logo on it. However, if you eliminated it, you’ll want to discover it by using deciding on the Start button. Find the identical icon at the Start Menu/Start Screen depending on whether or not Windows runs in tablet or normal mode (see below for the way to transfer to Tablet Mode).
Tap or click on the store icon to open it. Find a few apps and video games to install on Windows 10. In Windows 10 the Windows Store consists of tabs across the pinnacle of the display screen such as the Home display screen, Apps, Games, Music and in the end Movies & TV.
Find apps to install, like the apps in our list of forty five Essential Microsoft Surface 3 Windows apps all of in an effort to run on any Windows 10 device. Find an app and click or faucet at the app’s icon in the app keep. Choose the Install button inside the app description place generally about a third of the way down the screen in the direction of the left 0.33 of the display. The app will install. The Install button turns to an Open button. Tap or click on it to open the app.
In tablet mode Windows Store apps fill the entire screen. While no longer in pill mode, they run in a window like conventional programs established form outdoor the Windows Store.
How to Uninstall Apps, Games or Programs in Windows 10
First, we’ll cover uninstalling apps and video games installed via the Windows Store as described above. These will display up inside the Windows Start Screen in pill mode or Start Menu in normal mode. They also show up within the listing on the left edge of the Start Screen or Menu known as All Apps.
Just above the Start button there’s an icon that looks as if a bullet listing. Tap or click on on it to show the list of apps and software established on the pc or cell device. That’s the All Apps button.
Find the app or recreation you want to dispose of. Tap and keep at the icon or click on and preserve on the icon to deliver up the context menu. It lists three features – Pin to Start, Pin to taskbar, and Uninstall. Choose Uninstall to dispose of the app or recreation from the computer. A new box pops up mentioning, “This app and its related data will be uninstalled.” Tap or click on at the Uninstall button in that pop-up. This gets rid of the app.
Our colleagues at GottaBeMobile display the opportunity approach of going into Settings and uninstalling from there. See the How To article there.
Removing traditional applications that the user installs out of doors the Windows Store forces the person to go into the Control Panel. Tap or click on the Cortana search box and type Programs. The 2d object that indicates up reads Programs and Features. Select it. This takes us to that section of the Control Panel.
Find the program that wishes to get uninstalled and choose it. Choose Uninstall from the toolbar above the listing of established applications. The follow the uninstaller selections to cast off it. It’s an awesome idea to restart the device after uninstalling applications, but now not important unless the uninstaller calls for a restart.
How to Add Email Accounts to Mail in Windows 10
The Windows 10 Mail purchaser works pretty well and handles more than one money owed. Add money owed the use of the beneficial guide at GottaBeMobile.
Open the Mail app from the Start Menu or Start Screen. If you eliminated it, then pick All Apps to locate the Calendar app. Then upload money owed the use of the Accounts tab. Choose Add Account and pick the proper email carrier company for your account. Follow the onscreen commands.
How to Add Calendars to Windows 10 Calendar
The Windows 10 Calendar shall we customers upload calendars from things like Gmail, their Outlook or Live account and others. Open Calendars from the Start Screen or Start Menu. If you eliminated it, then choose All Apps to discover the Calendar app.
There’s a settings icon inside the lower left corner. Select it after which pick out Accounts after which Add account. Enter the proper records there. Here’s a greater specific manual to using the Windows 10 calendar.
How to Add Events to the Windows 10 Calendar
Add activities to the calendar the use of the New event button within the pinnacle left part of the app. Add your statistics approximately that occasion and pick out Save & near keep it.
Make positive you choose the proper calendar earlier than adding an occasion if you set up multiple account within the preceding step.
How to Switch to Tablet Mode in Windows 10
Windows 10 comes with modes, one for desktops and laptops and the alternative for drugs. Users may additionally want to switch among them despite the fact that they don’t very own on or the opposite. For example, people with a touchscreen display on a laptop or computing device might also need to apply Tablet Mode. Some may opt for the laptop mode, even though they use a pill.
Here’s what’s new in Windows 10 Tablet Mode:
- Apps open in complete screen by means of default
- App snapping nets users run all apps with the aid of dragging apps to the perimeters of your display and adjusting them with a slider in the center.
- The on-display screen keyboard opens while you faucet on textual content fields
- The Taskbar turns black and replaces Cortana’s Search bar inside the Taskbar with an icon. App icons disappear from the Taskbar
- Titlebars for apps lose their back buttons and a permanent back button surfaces on the Taskbar.
- The Taskbar alternatives up a multitasking button.
- The Start Menu turns into the Start Screen and hides app lists in favor of creating room for greater Live Tiles and app shortcuts.
- Windows 10 takes all of the apps you have in more than one Desktops and combines them into a single view.
To transfer to Tablet Mode manually, click on or faucet at the Action Center in the decrease right corner and select the Tablet Mode button. See the hyperlink above for other approaches and settings that robotically flip the mode on or off relying on whether there’s a keyboard attached to the device.
Tips on Browsing the Internet in Windows 10
Windows 10 comes with two browsers; Internet Explorer and the new Microsoft Edge. Again, GottaBeMobile does a pleasing process of explaining the one-of-a-kind and some of the first-rate new functions in Edge that make it worth a look, mainly for Windows customers with a stylus or active digitizer, like the new Microsoft Surface three or the Toshiba Encore 2 Write.
Here’s a list of factors you may do within the new Microsoft Edge in Windows 10:
- Type website addresses within the seek container below “Where to subsequent?” while you first open Microsoft Edge.
- Open the Hub represented by using three buttons subsequent to the search container in the upper right
- Find bookmarks, downloads, analyzing lists and browser records within the Hub
- Use handwriting tools to annotate websites
- Share net content with humans via social networks
- Open settings within the upper right (button with three horizontal dots) to trade important browser settings
Find out greater information about each in this submit.